A Wide Range of Mold Release Agents for a Wide Range of Industries
Over our fifty-year history Chem-Trend has developed and continually improved upon an expansive portfolio of mold release agents for many industry applications. Our mold release line includes water-based and solvent-based products, silicone and silicone-free products: in semi-permanent or apply-every-cycle product formulations. Our mold release agents are used in a wide variety of molding, forming, casting and curing applications. Here are just a few areas that we serve:
- Rubber and mandrel-based applications for gaskets, seals, hose and transmission belt manufacture
- Composite molding applications for marine, wind energy and shower and bath
- Polyurethane molding applications for automotive interior components, shoe soles and cast elastomer wheels
- Concrete molding applications for masonry stone and architectural concrete
- Plastic molding applications for packaging, automotive and toy manufacturing
Mold release attributes that are matched to customers’ needs and expectations
Working directly with our customers over the past fifty years, we have developed a wide variety of mold release agents, possessing different attributes, all of which cater to the needs of the specific manufacturing process being addressed. The impact our mold release coatings can have can be broadly summarized as follows:
- Very low transfer (contamination) of the mold release agent to the molded part when desired (in situations where gloss level or anti-squeak properties are desired, we can control transfer to the finished part)
- Low level of in-mold build-up or mold fouling
- Promotion of material flow where needed
- High release ease
- Slip levels between mold and molded part that can cope with extreme mold geometry (optimal mold surface wetting properties to cover the toughest mold geometries)
- Optimal, consistent, surface finish quality based on customer specifications
- Reduction of post mold operations due to compatibility with secondary operations such as gluing, painting or welding
- Lower scrap rates
- Cleaner molds
- Less downtime
- Higher quality parts
- Low, or no, VOC emissions
- Cleaner, safer environments
- Optimization of cycle time
Conventional, apply every cycle, mold release agents meet a wide range of requirements
We have a broad portfolio of conventional (apply-every-cycle) mold release agents for multiple applications. Our conventional mold release agents are:
- Available as ready-to-use or highly dilutable depending on the application
- Suitable for multiple types of spray equipment
- Able to have “tailored” dilution rates, depending upon the application and amount of slip required
- Excellent for molded parts with very complex geometry
- Very low in in-mold build-up/mold fouling
Semi-permanent mold release agents for molding operations are a great value
Semi-permanent mold release technology has provided industries with an alternative to the traditional “shop-spray” or high volume, apply-every-cycle release agent. Chem-Trend has been at the forefront in developing the most effective products of this type and transitioning industries to these formulations for their molding processes as appropriate.
We have focused on taking the message to our customers that more is not necessarily better when it comes to applying mold release agents. Today’s highly sophisticated mold release agent technologies do more with less:
- You can obtain many mold releases between applications
- More molding cycles can be attained per working shift due to efficient release ease and the need to apply the release system less frequently
- Low product application levels result in a cleaner working environment
- Scrap can be significantly reduced
- Molds can remain in production for extended periods of time due to the low contribution by the release system itself to in-mold build-up and the extremely high mold protection properties provided
- Complicated parts can be made in a trouble-free manner since products with elevated lubricity can be specified where appropriate
- Molded parts retain consistently good cosmetic appearance
- Molded parts can be post-painted or glued with little or no surface preparation
The relatively small amounts of mold release agents that need to be applied to the mold means that storage space is reduced. Products can be formulated ready-to-use -- making dilution equipment redundant. Overall, our mold release agents represent a added-value proposition that can be tailored to many types of molding applications.
Specific to use in molding of composite and polyurethane materials are Mold Primers. These are an integral part of the Primer/Sealer/Release Agent combination (i.e "the release system"), and are used to leverage the release agent properties to provide for an even greater number of releases between release agent application, along with easier release and greater part surface qualities.
Sustainable process aids with low environmental impact
Chem-Trend has long been aware of the need to minimize environmental impact and does its utmost to improve the health, safety and environmental (HSE) aspects at its customer’s facilities. Our development of the first commercially viable water-based die lubricant back in the 1950s had an immense impact on the HSE aspects of die cast facilities by removing the use of graphite and/or solvents in die lubricants, greatly reducing the smoke, black soot and high flammability inherent in the process.
Our latest mold release products follow our early standards for innovative breakthroughs and are again leading the way in issues of HSE, sustainability and many other areas. For example, by developing more advanced release agents that use raw materials derived from renewable vegetable sources, or high efficiency products that reduce the general burden on overall production and transport. Chem-Trend also continues to respond to general industry concerns about the environmental impact of VOCs in solvent-based mold release agents, and we have been leading the way in the development of multiple alternative solutions to address this issue. One such solution is our advance of water-based technologies that contain low or no VOCs. We continue to devote our resources to exploring and developing the best ways to provide our customers with unsurpassed products to suit their specific process and parameters while also facilitating their compliance with stricter environmental regulations and meeting goals for improving sustainability.
Global leadership because of a concentration on the needs of the customer
For fifty years, Chem-Trend’s reputation has been built on a foundation of providing value and service to the industries it serves. Our core focus is developing and manufacturing innovative release agents for use in a broad variety of industries. We are directly involved in our customers’ processes and apply our shop-floor and developmental expertise to provide our customers with tailored solutions to their unique problems, improving their overall productivity and quality. At the foundation of our business are industry-standard mold release agents engineered to maximize our customers’ productivity, reduce their overall cost of operations and help them deliver high-quality finished products.
Conventional, apply-every-cycle, release agents are still the broadest used types of release agents. Chem-Trend has developed hundreds of different conventional release agents to meet the special needs of different applications and processes.
Semi-Permanent release agents offer significant efficiency gains for certain processes and applications where a multiple release is possible. Chem-Trend has developed leading technologies in the area of semi-permanent release agents.
Silicone-free release agents provide opportunity for operational efficiency gains by reducing post-molding processes. Chem-Trend has developed silicone-free release agents for multiple applications to help customers become more efficient and reduce production costs.